IONIC was hired to create the construction documents for the additions and renovations to this long-standing Virginia Beach church based on the conceptual design package prepared by another firm. This facility shares the lot with the original worship hall, which was built in 1736 and is the oldest Episcopal Church in Virginia Beach. The addition includes a Great Hall and associated Narthex; a Nursery, Music Rooms, a Classroom Wing, an Enclosed Courtyard and new interiors.
The challenge with this project involves managing the new architecture and expansion with the older building while not overshadowing the historical structure. IONIC was given an approved master plan prepared by another architect which, unfortunately, lacked many of the practical details. The church desires the elimination of all flat roofs from the facility due to ongoing struggles with water penetration. This in itself can be a challenge due to the meandering and periodic expansion of the building from its original structure.